Classroom Activities!

Hey friends!

I just wanted to stop by real quick to share some activities from this week!

We started working on place value last week, and used the book Penguin Place Value. It's a cute little book that talks about how the penguin transport all of the fish that they catch (boxes have 10 fish, trays only carry up to 9).
I made a penguin themed "I have, who has" game for them to play. It was great for them to practice reading the numbers as well as counting the place value cubes.
We also created our own place value penguins! I told the students that the number they chose needed to be between 11-99 (I wanted them to use at least one group of ten and I didn't want them using a 100 flat yet). 

We also started working on some Valentine themed math stations.
Activities like this one are always a big hit. The kids love the holiday themed erasers. For this station, the used the erasers in the ice cube trays to make addition equations. I challenged them to write equations with at least 3 addends, and most of them went beyond that! I got the erasers & ice cube trays from the dollar spot at Target!

Sticking with the Valentine theme, here are a few crafts from this week!
These are our Bee Mine projects!
This is an adapted craft from First Grade Blue Skies.

We also made these super cute Valentine Gumball Machines!
This is an adapted craft from Tunstall's Teaching Tidbits.
It's a super fun valentine project...as well as a math project! The kids loved it!

Totally random...but I finally picked up a container for my new dice! I found the container in the craft section at walmart. The dice are from Amazon! I'm super excited to start using them this week. The kids are going to think they are REALLY cool too! :)

Thanks for stopping by!
Enjoy the rest of your weekend!!

3 comments

  1. What a cute book! Will have to look for that one-we are studying penguins and I'd love to introduce them to the concept of place value. Thank you for sharing!

    Not Just Child's Play

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I got it from Amazon (link above). The author also has a second book that is similar, but goes into the hundreds place as well I believe!

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the book recommendation. I look forward to checking this book out!

    ReplyDelete