Reflective Website Post 1: Technology Use

Hi everyone!

I've mentioned a few times that I am in the progress of completing my Master's Degree through ISU. I'm in the Teaching and Learning program with a focus in technology.
Image result for illinois state university
I'm finally in my last semester! :)
This semester I have a research class and a technology class.
As part of my technology class, I'll occasionally be posting reflections.
This week, I'll be reflecting on my technology use in the classroom over the course of my career (8 years)! It has been very interesting to think through...

After reflecting on the last 8 years, I am now thinking about what steps I can take in the future to include more technology or to make the technology more meaningful. See below! :)
Here is a picture of my technology timeline:
To view the whole timeline, {click here}.
I used TimeToast to create it!

During my first year of teaching first grade in 2010, there weren't many options for technology use. My students and I used desktop computers in the classroom. The students also used CD players to listen to stories. The CD players that they used were individual CD players so that they could listen to stories on their own during literacy time.
During my second year of teaching, my school got a smartboard in every classroom as well as a document camera! The document camera was exclusively used by me during instruction, but the students use the smartboard along with me. It was a great tool for guided instruction to include the students in the learning. The desktop computers and individual CD players continue to be used in the classroom during that year.
In 2012, my school got iPads to use in the classrooms! Unfortunately, we only got 13 to share for the 8 classrooms in the building. We had to check them out through the school librarian, but they were a great new tool to use in the classroom! We were limited to only getting free apps on the iPads, but since there are so many available, that wasn't an issue. I searched online for apps that were recommended by teachers. We continued to use desktop computers in the classroom as well as our smartboard & document camera.
In 2013, most technology use remained the same. The students still used desktop computers in the classroom, and we still used our smartboard and document camera. The only real change to technology this school year was to our listening station. Instead of using individual CD players (and having to constantly replace batteries), the students now started using a larger CD player and multi-headphone jack to listen to stories.
When the iPads were first introduced, it was difficult to get new apps added. The iPads were all synced together and apps were managed by the district. In 2014-2015, a new system was put in place for adding apps to the iPads and teachers had more say in what the app options were for the students. We started using apps like Quick Images and Splash Math in the classrooms.
In 2015, most technology use remained the same. A new addition was an instructional computer program called DreamBox Learning. This is a subscription program that the whole school uses to reinforce math concepts during computer time. The activities and lessons are age/grade appropriate and can be altered for specific students. Students can also login to the program at home to continue practicing math lessons.
Something that changed during 2016, is that I limited the students' use of the smartboard. At this point, the smartboard had been used so much over the years, that it needed some updates and fixes. Unfortunately, the district is not going to pay for these fixes, and it is difficult for the students to use because it does not always respond properly to touch. A new addition to technology this year was a set of 5 chrome books in my classroom that I received through a Donor's Choose project!
In 2017, I added Amazon tablets to my classroom. The students use different apps during station time for math practice and literacy practice. I also introduced STEM time in my classroom. On the iPads, the students use apps that involve coding! Their favorite is Kodable. The use of the smartboard, document camera, CD player, desktop computers, and chrome books remain the same.
So far this semester, I have made a few changes to the way that iPads are used in my classroom. At open house, my students used the Aurasma app to create a "living display" for their parents to view! I have also added the use of the Osmo Gaming System to iPad use during math stations and reading stations. I received the Osmo systems through a Donor's Choose project in 2017. The students love them! The use of the smartboard, document camera, CD player, desktop computers, and chrome books remain the same.
After reading through some of my classmates' timelines, I realized that I left some things out! It's crazy how we get so used to using things, that we take them for granted! Some of these things that I have been using since the beginning, were new things to teachers that started years before me. :)

2010: I used Microsoft Word when creating activities/worksheets for my students.

2011: I switched to using Microsoft Powerpoint for creating activities/games/worksheets for my students because it is much more user friendly! I also opened up my TpT Store during this year and started using it as a way to find activities for my students. I also started using Pinterest as a way to find ideas to use in my classroom.

2012: This is when I started my blog! I had been following a few teaching blogs previously and decided to join in and share ideas from my classroom.

2014: I created an instagram account for my blog and to share my teaching ideas. I also created a twitter account for my blog.

2016: This is when I created a class twitter account. It is mostly used as a way to share things that we are doing in the classroom with parents.

2017: This is the year that I started using the Remind App. It is an additional way for parents and I to communicate.

2018: We just found out that our district is getting a technology loan. With this, each grade level at my school will have their own chrome book lab (30 chrome books to share among 2 classes). This is amazing! I'm so excited at the future opportunities!


Now that I've done all of this reflecting, I'm wondering what I can do to include more technology or make the technology more useful...

I have seen that a lot of people use SeeSaw in their classrooms. I definitely think that this is something that I could start utilizing in my classroom with first grade students. It seems like it would be a great way for students to have students become more responsible for their learning. Using SeeSaw, the students could take pictures of their work/projects with the iPad and upload it to their account. Parents can also be given access to their child's account so that they can see the work of their students as well. It seems like it would be a nice way to create a digital portfolio for the students! I think they would enjoy being part of the process and would also like having some choice in what is shown to their parents.

How to Get Started With Virtual Reality in the Classroom
Something else that I would LOVE to try in my classroom is virtual reality. This topic was briefly covered in my tech class last semester. It seems that there are some cheaper options for virtual reality consoles, and it would be an awesome opportunity for students to "travel" to different places that we are learning about in class! I have also seem some great ideas online for how VR could be used in the classroom.

How do you use technology in your classroom?
Do you have any recommendations on technology that I should include in my classroom?
Let me know below!




1 comment

  1. I love how you are using technology in so many ways. I have been a teacher for 15 years and have NEVER had a smart board or IPADS in my classroom in Delaware. We had a laptop cart that we got ONCE a week and 2 classroom computers. I had one LCD projector in my room which became my everything for technology! Lame, I know. But it wasn't until I created my own website and got on board with all kinds of social media did I really start learning the many ways I could utilize technology to its fullest. I'm sure this post will help many others do the same. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete