Fraction Activities: Give Me Half!

Hi everyone!

During the month of January, we are in our geometry unit in math.
We focus on nonstandard measurement, fractions, telling time, and shapes!
It's a lot to get in!
Image result for give me half
Last week, we were focusing on fractions. I love to incorporate Math Reads {read more about them here} in my classroom instruction, and for this topic we used the book Give Me Half by Stuart J. Murphy. In the book, a brother and sister are arguing over different foods & drinks in the house (typical siblings!). They are told to figure out how to share fairly, and eventually figure out how to split things in half. 
I used this book for two days of lessons.

Day 1: We read the book and talked about what the word equal means. I then showed the students different shapes (squares, circles, rectangles, triangles) that I had already drawn black lines on to split them into 2 pieces. The students had to determine whether they were equal or not.
Day 2: We reviewed the main points of the story about sharing things equally. We also reviewed our anchor chart about equal and unequal. Then the students were shown their next activity: To split pizza or a cookie in halves or fourths. This was a big hit!
I have seen ideas like this one online before,
but I couldn't find any links to freebies or paid products so I went ahead and made my own.
I will be using this product {Let's Sort Fractions!} as one of my math stations this week. In it, the students can do 2 different sorting activities: equal/unequal and halves/fourths. There are also cut & glue sorting activities included.

I hope you find these activities helpful!
Do you have any books that you use for fractions?


No comments

Post a Comment