Teacher Week: Friday Favorite Subject

Hey bloggers!

I'm back for the final day of Teacher Week with Blog Hoppin!

Here is the topic for today:

My favorite subject is MATH. Some people cringe at the thought of learning or teaching math, but I have always loved it!

Math has changed a bit in my district. We are a pretty big district and we have already aligned to the common core...but now we are working on our sequence for the year and getting everyone on the same page across the schools. Our district has been working with Math Solutions to make sure we are going in the right direction. This summer I participated in a Math Solutions PD. After it, I feel like I am headed in the right direction and it gave me some new ideas in the classroom. A big take away from the training...MATH TALKS. This is something I want to incorporate more in my classroom! Do you have math talks in your room?? I'd love to hear more about them if you do!

I just made these dot cards to use in my first few math talks. They are FREE! Head {here} to get them! I plan to add more as we use them.

A few years back I started incorporating math journals in my classroom and now I LOVE them! I love seeing and sharing the different ways the kids solve problems. Some of them come up with ways that I wouldn't have even considered! It's great to be able to expose the other students to new ways of thinking, through their peers. We already started our first math journal last week (first full week of school)! I have never started that early before but it went pretty well! Right now, we are doing our math journals whole group, since they are new to the students. Eventually, I hope to make math journals a weekly math station!

Here is my Math Board on Pinterest if you want to check it out!
And here is my Stations Board!

Happy Weekend!


No comments

Post a Comment